Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Large City

A city is a relatively large and permanent settlement. Although there is no agreement on how a city is distinguished from a town within general English language meanings, many cities have a particular administrative, legal, or historical status based on local law. For example, an article of incorporation approved by the local state legislature distinguishes a city government from a town in Massachusetts. In the United Kingdom and parts of the Commonwealth of Nations, a city is traditionally a settlement with a royal charter.[1] Historically, in Europe, a city was understood to be an urban settlement with a cathedral. Cities generally have complex systems for sanitation, utilities, land usage, housing, and transportation. The concentration of development greatly facilitates interaction between people and businesses, benefiting both parties in the process. A big city or metropolis usually has associated suburbs and exurbs. Such cities are usually associated with metropolitan areas and urban areas, creating numerous business commuters traveling to urban centers of employment. Once a city expands far enough to reach another city, this region can be deemed a conurbation or megalopolis. In my opinion living I would prefer to live on a large city.

Firstly, there is a wide working opportunity in a large city like Kuala Lumpur. As Kuala Lumpur is the heart of Malaysia or the capital of Malaysia there is a wide range of working opportunity. The city is also the heart of economy of the country. These features in the large city enable me to get a variety of jobs. The salary paid for an employee in a large city is higher compared to another employee in other regions. The workload is both employees is the same but the one working the large city earns more. In a large city I can gain more knowledge and experience regarding my work as many training regarding the job is given to me to improve my skills. All these experience enables me to get a promotion faster compared to others working in other region. This is also possible as many high ranked employees in the town like to move to different sectors or region due to promotion and work transfer. This situation leaves a vacant position which enables the lower ranked employees to fill up the vacant.

Besides that, a large city is also a center of education. In Kuala Lumpur itself, there are 13 tertiary education institutions, 79 high schools, 155 elementary schools and 136 kindergartens. This amazing feature enables me to increase my knowledge. I can enroll myself in one of the universities available in that location. University of Malaya which is one of the best universities available in Malaysia is located in a large city. Established in 1962, it is the oldest university in Malaysia, and one of the oldest in the region. It is also the most prestigious tertiary institution in Malaysia, having been ranked first among the universities in Malaysia in the 2004 Times Higher Education (THES) international rankings. If I were to live anywhere else I would miss the opportunity to gain knowledge from such a great higher institute. If I have kids in the future a large city is the best choice to live as my children could study in a good school. For an example, Victoria Institution , Methodist Girls' School ,Methodist Boys' School ,Convent Bukit Nanas and St. John's Institutionare among the notable and high performing school in Malaysia. I would prefer my children to have a bright future by sending them to these high performing schools. They could also gain a lot of knowledge by joining these schools as good teachers and the modern features are available in these schools.

Moreover, it is easy to move around the city as there is a good transportation system. I can travel to work in a public transportation such as pubic bus or a monorail to avoid traffic. I can also travel around the city in a quicker and safer manner. If I want to take a flight to a foreign country, the city is nearer to an international airport and there is a wide variety of public transport to reach the airport. Most international flight routes are only available in large city. For an example, Senai International airport has a less variety of flight destination compared to The Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA). There are also many alternative route available to travel to a single destination which allows me to choose the best route available and free the route free of traffic. The road system in a town is better compared to other region. This enables a person to travel faster and safer to his or her desired destination.

Besides, there is a wide variety of shopping complex and entertainment in the city which enables me to get something easier. Most of the latest application or gadgets are only available in major cities before other region it is available in other region. It is also easier to get any products or accessories in a large city as there are many different shopping complex and retail available. Most of the fashion clothing is also able in the large city. This enables me to up to date on the current fashion and not getting outdated. I can also release my work stress in an entertainment outlet which is mostly available in at major cities. It is also easy fix up any problem or repairs such as car repair as there are many mechanic shops available in a large city. I can also get a wide variety of design of a single item such as laptops as there are many shops selling the same item but different design, features and price. Hence, I can choose for the best among the best items available according to my taste.

The conclusion is, living in a large city is better compared to living in other part or region. There are a lot of facilities available in a city which is useful for a person. If I were to life in a village or a small city I will miss all these facilities and could not grow myself for a better future. Living in a large city also ensures that my children and my future generations gets a better future. In my opinion living in a large city is the best.

No comments: